Sunday, September 12, 2010

A quick side-trip

After going to the University on Monday and acquiring as to when classes start and how I would get University housing and being (again) to return the next week, I decided to take advantage of the down time (and extremely cheap transportation) and visit some friends in Spain for a couple of days. This turned out to be a wonderful trip that not only brought back memories and re-kindled close friendships, but one that also reminded me why I am in Morocco and not the developed world. Life is good in Spain, but on the surface, at least, people there are unconcerned with the world around them, especially those who lack basic development systems like plumbing, education, healthcare, etc. I don't mean to criticize Spain, as I don't implicate her as a nation for her complacency. Rather, I believe this contentment to be a product of economical stability and development. The fact that I was uncomfortable in such an environment was reassuring to my own doubts and concerns. There is a part of everybody that desires comfort and a worry-free existence. Personally, I challenge that part of me to concede to the more adventurous, passionate, and globally concerned Jacob. And this quick trip to Spain bolstered by confidence that Jacob Perry is in the right place.

Tomorrow I will return to the University to hopefully get information about classes, housing, and everything else a poor foreigner needs to know before starting the school year. I'm sure things will be all straightened out soon, Inshallah (God willing.)

S-salamu alaykum (peace be upon you)

2 comments:

  1. Glad you got a chance to enjoy yourself even if your maddening psyche won't let you relax.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just scared the mad part of me will be driven sane.

    ReplyDelete