Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A special Couscous

Today is Wednesday, but as is the Moroccan way, a family I met for the first time on Monday invited me for couscous on Wednesday (today.) How could I turn that down?! Moroccans eat couscous every Friday, but not other days as well, so this was a special occasion specifically for me.

I want to point out that even though this couscous was a meal prepared especially for me, the mother and sister of the family - who cooked the meal - never joined us men (the two sons, Abdessamad, and myself) to eat. These women had especially prepared a meal for me that they would not share in consuming. That's perty derned nice if ya ask me!
The pre-meal tea. This is peppermint tea with a lot of sugar and always served on a tray like this.
Couscous. And you can even see the steam rising off of it!

I'm using the "lugma" technique, palm down, scooping up the goods.

The resulting ball is ready for launch.

Abdessamad showing the proper form. It's so rewarding to eat with your hands!
I love a country where licking your fingers is the proper way to clean up! Sorry for all the grievances mom - I was just living in the wrong culture.


On the way to the bus tonight, I came across a very common sight on Moroccan roads - an open sewer entrance in the street. I love the Moroccan method of protecting motorists - surround the hole with big rocks visible from a distance. This hole was about two feet long by two feet wide.
Poor countries have poor ways...that work!



4 comments:

  1. Just don't lick your left hand. Please don't lick your left hand! :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Tim on this one. Thanks for the descriptive photos, Jacob! I'm enjoying following your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get hungry every time I see this post... I miss Hakim (my moroccan TA that made delicious couscous)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i know im commenting on everything but this looks soo good! yumm!

    ReplyDelete